Maned Lioness

_DSC0198

This lovely lady is a rare maned lioness. She lives in Botswana, in the Okavango Delta, where I went in May for my fifty-fifth birthday. She is one of five known maned lionesses in Botswana. She exhibits some male behaviors, like increased scent-making and roaring. I was instantly smitten with her.

Here, she smelled something on the road she wanted to roll around in. I didn’t crop out the Range Rover on the bottom right-hand side of this one, so you can see how close she was to us.

_DSC0131

I have so many images of this lovely girl, it’s hard to decide which ones to share. While she is one of several lions we saw, she captured my heart.

_DSC0145

_DSC0169

_DSC0218

I have thousands of Botswana photos, so expect lots more to come.

Best wishes to you all,

Ella

#ManedLioness #Botswana #OkavangoDelta #PhotoSafari #NaturePhotography #WildlifePhotography #NatHab #Lions #AfricaSafari

Unconfirmed Bachelorette, a/k/a Ella, is a 50-something-year-old lawyer who wishes fervently she could retire from the practice of law and write full time. Never-married-childfree Ella resides in Austin, Texas with her three fluffy black rescue cats and two interlopers.
This entry was posted in Africa, Botswana, Nature, Photography, Travel, Wildlife and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Maned Lioness

1. Judy says:

Love it! How fantastic that you took such an amazing trip. Looking forward to reading more about your travels. 🙂

2. hocuspocus13 says:

♦ GORGEOUS ♦

3. You’re back, and that’s the important thing. We were worried sick about you. Felices Fiestas!

4. Strange. I was thinking about you just a couple of days ago, wondering what had become of you.

You were in Africa admiring lions. Happy belated birthday. If my experience is typical, life begins at 55.

5. Marian says:

Oh, memories. I was there some years ago. Such a special place. Good to hear from you again.

6. Great to hear from you, especially with the promise of more gorgeous photos! Happy Christmas.

7. Welcome back! We are so happy to read you again 😁
    That furry girl is splendid, and your photos are wonderful!
    Wish you a serene Merry Christmas 🎄✨
    Sid

8. me-fixing-me says:

this is my best xmas present 😉 so glad you’re back here!

9. curvylou says:

What a stunning creature. SO awesome to see the notice of new posts from you pop up in my inbox.

10. Donna says: