Sadie’s Reign Continues

Na Na Na Na Na

Na Na Na Na Na

Sadie, my favorite cat, is going to be OK. Instead of being bad luck, it seems this black cat has broken the family curse. She does not have cancer. She does not have diabetes. She does have elevated kidney values (BUN and creatinine). We are awaiting the results of the urine culture and urinalysis to tell us whether she has a kidney infection or chronic renal disease. But, if she does have chronic renal disease, it is early days and it has not yet caused significant kidney damage. We know this because she had a perfectly normal ultrasound. All of this girl’s internal organs are A-OK.

The vet put her on an antibiotic and an anti-nausea medication, while we await the remaining test results. She also gave her subcutaneous fluids.

The vet did not make me wait until I picked her up to give me the news. Instead, she explained everything over the phone. When we hung up, I picked Sally up, began repeatedly jumping up and down, all the while kissing the top of her head and yelling, “She’s going to be OK. Your sister is going to be OK!” Sally responded, “WTF is all this kissing and jostling? Put me down, woman, and go and pick her up.” So I did.

Sadie is home. And she’s eating tuna and Temptations treats. I even tricked her into eating half her antibiotic by putting it in a pill pocket and hiding it in the middle of the treat pile. She hasn’t fallen for it a second time, so I fear I will have to break out the pill popper to get the second half of the jumbo antibiotic down the hatch. Meanwhile, Sally keeps sniffing her and hissing. Yes, she smells funny. Yes, she’s had a tummy shave. And yes, she is on the mend and will kick your ass, so show some respect.

Long Live Queen Sadie!

Afterward: Uh oh. It turns out Sally sneaked to the treat bowl when I wasn’t looking and ate all that Sadie had left, including the pill pocket.

Queen Sadie and Her Royal Subjects, Sally and Sophie

Queen Sadie and Her Royal Subjects–Pill-Popping Sally and Surly Sophie

This entry was posted in Cats and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Sadie’s Reign Continues

1. ainsobriety says:

Ha ha ha. I’m happy she is ok!
    Giving cat pills is never fun.

Liked by 2 people

2. cindy knoke says:

Yay! Merry Christmas!

3. Phew, what a reelief! Now the fun has started – getting pills down a cat isn’t much fun 😉 Hope the rest of the results are conclusive. Our vets now offer slow-release antibiotic injections – we opt for that whenever possible for the cats.

4. franhunne4u says:

GREAT NEWS! Trust a BLACK cat to break a curse!

5. Happy the babie is OK 😀
    Food and pill: always a stuggle!
    For kidney disease there are specific treats and food cans (for example, Hill’s Prescription Diet Feline k/d). I used to give them to my old Pallie who had the same problem and died at 19 years old in 2013. Ask your vet for best advices.
    Merry and Happy Christmas to you all ❤
    Ciao
    Sid

6. Robert Crisp says:

Great news. This made my day. : )

7. Hugs from my pusses Pye and Pyxel . And yes, Hill’s food kept one of ours alive for years after a diagnosis of kidney issues too.

8. Merry Christmas to you and your cats! 🙂

9. Paws up for Queen Sadie! Good news.
    You may have to watch diet depending – and try to get her to drink more water…cats seem to sip and not enough? There are several good brands for food – you may have to try until you find the one Sadie accepts…just get used to reading labels.
    Hope you and your have the merriest Christmas ever

10. josie416 says:

Smiles and hugs all around!

11. Pingback: Nursing Sadie | Unconfirmed Bachelorette

12. Kim G says:

Woo hoo!!! That’s great news! I’ll add my testimony that the Hills K/D can seem to work wonders for kitties with kidney issues.

Well, this will be a very merry Christmas indeed!

Saludos,

Kim G
    El Granada, CA
    Where we come from a long line of cat lovers.

• Yes! I am so relieved. She seems to be perking up. This morning she made a point of chasing Sophie and giving Sally a fake nip, just to make sure they know she’s still in charge. Now, if we can just keep getting those pills down. I’m hoping when we get the test results back, she’ll switch to a smaller less disgusting-tasting antibiotic.

13. rivieradinah says:

So glad to hear she’s going to be okay! I know you must be so relieved. Get some rest & enjoy your cuddles. ❤